Ireland is a land steeped in history, mystery and magic. From tales of leprechauns and fairies to legends of fierce warriors and powerful gods, the folklore and mythology of Ireland has captured the hearts and imaginations of people all over the world.
If you are want to experience travel in Ireland through the lens and magic of Irish folklore and mythology, here’s a guide to help you get started:
- Visit the Hill of Tara: This ancient ceremonial site is said to be the place where the High Kings of Ireland were crowned. It’s also believed to be the entrance to the Otherworld, the realm of the gods and the dead.
- Explore the fairy forts: These ancient ringforts are believed to be the homes of the fairy folk and are considered sacred places. It’s said that to disturb them will bring bad luck, so take care when visiting these enchanting sites.
- Walk the Ring of Kerry: This scenic drive takes you through breathtaking landscapes and past some of Ireland’s most iconic folklore sites, including Muckross House, Ross Castle and Torc Waterfall.
- Learn about the Tuatha Dé Danann: This ancient race of gods and goddesses are said to have inhabited Ireland before the arrival of the Celts. They’re still remembered today in place names, legends and folklore.
- Visit the Blarney Stone: This famous stone, set in the walls of Blarney Castle, is said to bestow the gift of eloquence on those who kiss it. Whether you believe in its magic or not, the castle and its grounds are a beautiful place to visit.
- Explore the myths of the Leprechaun: though overly used abroad, these small, mischievous creatures are one of Ireland’s most famous folkloric figures. While they’re often depicted as solitary cobblers, in Irish folklore they’re often portrayed as tricksters who can lead travelers astray.
- Visit the Dingle Peninsula: This stunning peninsula is home to some of Ireland’s most dramatic landscapes, as well as its most enduring myths and legends. From the bewitching mermaid of Dingle Bay to the powerful god Manannán mac Lir, this is a place where the magic of folklore comes to life.